Princess Juliana International Airport also known as Saint Martin International Airport is located on the French island of St. Martin in the Dutch Antilles, specifically in the Dutch part, and serves the residents of both sides.
This airport is famous for its short runway, which is located in close proximity to the sea, and airplanes land at a low altitude (from 10 to 20 meters) above the beach. This airport is the second most active airport in terms of air traffic in the Lesser Antilles after Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in Puerto Rico, holds the former Dutch Queen Juliana's name, forms a center for Win Air Company and is a major transit point to the Windward Islands in the Lesser Antilles.
The airport was started as a military airstrip in 1942. It was converted to a civilian airport in 1943. In 1964, the airport was remodeled and modernized. In 2006, a new terminal building and control tower were built in order to meet the expected growth of passenger traffic reaching a million tourists per year.